Monday, November 8, 2021

                   All Things Imprintable 




               Any copying, distribution or use of images on this site is a copyright violation and unlawful.










     

The images in this post belong to AHS. Their product lines cater to 32 areas of health care, plus awareness causes. When I started, the shop was a relatively new company within an already established successful magazine business, so we operated on a shoestring. Everything was created and put up on the 'store' super-fast. No time for ruminating about the viability of any given product.
The products include imprinted apparel, accessories, gifts and gadgets as well as stationery and prints. This is just a small sampling of products I conceived and then, managed their design and development from Spring 2006 to Spring 2008.This was a part time position, but I designed and developed hundreds of items during that time period. Once, I was introduced by my supervisor as a person with 'an idea a minute'. 

                     


 Please note: Some of the images were dragged off the AHS site and are low resolution.

                   

                Most of the customers were women, but we did create items that were male-specific, unisex, for family members and children. Most designs were more iconic with broadest appeal rather than contemporary 'fashion statements'.













My first Breast Cancer Awareness campaign was inspired by a Christmas decoration hanging on my wall. I photocopied it, added a bit more to the shadow that appeared, added a pink ribbon and 'to be free' which I had authored. A digital artist took it from there. Ideas come from anywhere.







This is the finished logo. It was applied to tees, totes, lunch bags, mugs, note cards, etc. The concept sold extremely well.














Initially, because the 'shop' was a newer business, we used screen printing and a limited palette, but eventually a dye-sublimation printer was purchased. Also, farmed-out full-color screen-printing was employed. This Breast Cancer Awareness tee was conceived and illustrated by me and imprinted using 'dye-sub' in-house at AHS.










                                      This poster was conceived and illustrated by me....
 







       This is a parody I conceived and illustrated. It was placed on tees and mugs and turned into a poster. Five years later it is still being used on different product forms.......

                                                  

                                                               These tees were a hit!








  Another parody I conceived and illustrated.  I'm thinking of becoming an art forger!  (:


 
         'Nurse Mona" was placed on a tee and, also a poster. I thought it would be fun to        incorporate a museum-type gold-gilded frame into the illustration..............................
      

 


       








 We sold many of these simple, but effective Heart Health 'paper doll' tees. The store's biggest outlet was online and this graphic came across extremely well. This was my concept, my words with some minor editing, digital artist execution, my direction.
                                              











                                                     


                                     More for the Heart Heart campaign.......
                                                This is my quick cut 'n paste sketch....


                              ..........and this is the digital artist's execution with direction.
                                                    This art became a poster and .....
                                                           ......a tee!










                                                 My favorite Heart Health concept...
   ......my concept, rough sketch, copywriting, sourcing, direction to digital artist.....













We had an extremely fast turn-a-round from concept to appearing on the online shop. Concepts were shown in quickie sketches or even with a description of the idea. Here are a couple examples of my 'roughs'.....
After approval, I illustrated the heart for the first sketch which was then put together   with type by the digital artist. I was always involved in sourcing the product itself.            











I came up with the concepts, slogans, rough sketches, and art direction for these buttons   for heart health. Buttons are always great with scrubs!

















  
                                            Something for baby........
                               A quick sketch and mock-up for presenting concept....

                      ....which was then digitized (with my direction) by another artist.
 





       







Speaking of children, here are two, to-be-customized, Pediatric name tags....my     designs, my illustrations....







              and one for 'awareness'....name of cause and employee customized.....

                       










We needed a cheap 'give-a-way' for hospital job fairs. It needed to be something generic, one color imprinting,  on a product with color selections, that would also make a great display......

This was the quick rough concept sketch, but we liked the wood-cut effect, and so, we kept it as the final product illustration. My idea, illustration execution (i.e., my scribble), sourcing, copywriting, and directing. 
                                                 














What to do for Ultrasound Technologists that was visually appealing and wearable was always a dilemma. My rough concept sketch was inspired by Charles Demuth's 'Number Five' shown in the lower right side. Excellent execution by the digital artist (with some guidance).

                                                        (I sourced the pink banded tee as I did for a lot of my products or sometimes I described to a buyer what I thought was appropriate for the demographic as far as age-range, style, color and the income bracket of the particular group)










      This was an idea I had for a nurse mouse pad. I wrote the copy, picked a general palette, and art directed the digital artist who added her terrific touches and a lot more.
              
The mouse pad art was also used as a poster. We were always considering multiple usages.











     Speaking of multiple usages, I created this floral line illustration and it was applied initially to a tee for Heart Health awareness and then, in a different palette on a different tee for LPNs.

                                  Take note of the 'heart-on-the-sleeve'....pun intended!





   






The swirly vine style I drew out for the digital artist to tweak. It looked great when I matched up this concept with the market tote for NPs.
















Out of a two minute marker and watercolor scribble, an idea to turn the medical symbol, the caduceus, into a Christmas tree, came successful Christmas shirts and Christmas cards..............

    
The digital artist's interpretation (with art direction) became a popular image.
       













We became very creative with the medical symbol, the Caduceus. I had an idea to turn it into an angel and do a series of 'small inspirational sayings tees' for health care workers to wear for working out, yoga, or just to wear with jeans. I did the rough concept sketch and presented the sayings. The digital artist took it from there with some art direction....

                 










From my quick pencil concept scribble came a series of products utilizing this decorative caduceus.......
A digital artist worked on the design, I came up with some copy and this became an inexpensive ceramic tile. The same art was printed on the box.....I wrote the copy.


                                  then, it became personalized stationery......




Next, another digital artist took the art and cleverly transformed the art into a   tattoo-style piece for a tee.....(wish I could take full credit for this one!).



                                   Lots of mileage out of every idea and design!










In a vendor's catalogue, I came across a sticky pad in the shape of a shirt. They showed this shape printed up as a Hawaiian shirt. We could not put money into a new die-cut, so I thought of a way of using that available shape. It became a successful little item because ALL health care workers wear scrubs!


From a very rough scribble,






with final art by a digital artist......

                                                                             ....came a great little product!
















 Besides the caduceus medical symbol, there is the medical cross. We used it in countless designs both featured and subtly incorporated................................
      My idea and concept sketch for the holiday line; my product sourcing and direction. 






Bandaid cross...my idea.....









                       From my concept sketch and idea, sourcing, art direction.....
                          
                                                         a more contemporary tee...............














Cafe Nurse.....my concept sketch, copy idea, sourcing and art direction...................









We needed a 'Nurses Week' note card. I did a quick washy watercolor, had the digital artist pump up the color volume, create an overlay of nurse attributes in a 'Celtic' looking font and add the copy.








This was copied exactly by a digital artist from the quick concept watercolor I executed for presentation and It became a very popular blank note card.




























This design incorporated the medical cross and caduceus'.....my idea to imitate the Scandanavian paper art of 'Scherenschnitte', my scribble, my art direction....it was applied to a Holiday card, tile, and apron...
 

























One day at a meeting, I started scribbling on scrap cardboard and came up with this ER nurse concept. For all shirts, we had started out with smaller, relatively sedate visuals because of a need for broad appeal, but I could see this with larger, bolder scribble lines going all over the place! We needed to reign it in for practicality.....

                                          Then, on to the desk of the visual artist..... 

                                        .....to become a tee for the ER nurse.....











   My idea, rough concept sketch, copywriting, and art direction. As with this piece, I often gave strong font-style preferences........... 

                                                                             .......taking inspiration from 'E.R.'......












The two (critical care) tees above were featured as unisex as with this one...also my concept, copywrighting, art direction....












Something for the nurses who work with the smallest patients....my sketch, idea, copywriting, sourcing, art direction....














I wrote the copy, whipped up a quick little scribble and art directed a digital artist this very popular neonatal nurse logo....
              



















Here is another example of the 'small inspirational sayings tees'. It was good for Respiratory Therapists or anyone really. The idea, illustration execution, and font choice were mine.......................................














             My visual concept based on the saying from an Speech Language Pathologist became a popular imprinted image.......
      
                                       tees, sticky pads and more.........











 



My concept, rough sketch, art direction....more for the SLP, specifically in keeping with their annual conference theme......another good seller.....



...and was also turned into a poster.







I wrote the copy, (with some very minor tweaking by the editor) and designed and directed the art for these SLP aprons.....







The same concept was then applied to an OT apron, but I can not remember if I wrote all the copy for that project as well, but you can see how it looks when imprinted on the product, which I did manage and pull together..........










To illustrate a highly stylized CT machine was my idea and something I roughed out.














 


One evening, I was in my home studio and noticed a ripped-out magazine page on the floor. It was a Met life Ad from a long time ago. Snoopy was laying in a hammock on a tropical beach and the headline read, 'REST ASSURED...etc'' .......... I had a 'light bulb moment' for Sleep Technologists! (:  

On, the black background, it was imprinted on totes, while on the periwinkle background,.......


                               ......it was imprinted on tees.....good seller......
                                This was really simple, but one of my personal favorites!



                                                                       
                                                  lots more...............


  





****************************************




                

                                     A few pieces from another line of tees.......   










                                                                                                        ©PattySmith








                                            


















   Please Note: Any copying, distribution or use of images on this blog-site is a copyright violation and unlawful.
  




























****************************************